Consistent with the philosophy of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act, the non-profit SNA Foundation endeavors to serve the economic and social needs of Alaska Natives enrolled in Seldovia Native Association by offering educational opportunities to eligible persons.
It provides shareholders and their descendants with scholarships, grants, student aid, stipends and other means of support in connection with educational training at colleges, universities, vocational schools or other educational institutions, as well as educational training through apprenticeships, internships or other educational programs, which may be approved by the Board of Directors.
Eligible beneficiaries for The SNA Foundation’s Scholarship Program include: Alaska Natives who are enrolled, Pursuant it to the 1971 Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act, in Seldovia Native Association, Inc. shareholders and their lineal descendants (children, grandchildren, etc.; natural or adopted) and spouses.
Applicant must be enrolled:
- as full-time students (12 or more credit hours per semester for undergraduate students; 9 or more credit hours per semester for graduate students);
- at an accredited college or university or accepted for admittance to a post secondary program; and for a two-year or four-year undergraduate degree or graduate degree program.
Applicants should maintain a current cumulative grade point average (GPA) to qualify for scholarships as follows:
- 3.0 GPA or better for Achievement Scholarships
- 2.0 GPA or better for the General Scholarships
There is no Alaska residency requirement for Foundation scholarships.
Scholarship Uses: Unless stated otherwise, a scholarship applies toward tuition, university fees, books or campus related/approved room and board only. All scholarships are subject to available funding.
Scholarship Decisions: Award selections are made by the SNA Foundation Awards Committee. Applicants will be officially informed by the Foundation of the selection results by mail only. Allow twenty (20) working days from the deadline for selections to be made.
Application Deadlines: All applications must be postmarked or received by the Foundation on or before the deadline for which the application is submitted in order to receive full consideration. Deadline July 1
Annual Scholarships: Achievement & General Scholarship Fund. These scholarship apply to the full academic year (two semesters).
Criteria for Selection: Scholastic achievement, or merit, is a major consideration in the award selection process, but it is by no means the only one. It is used as an indicator of the ability of the candidate to grow through formal learning. Other factors considered in the selection process include previous work performance; education and community involvement; financial need; recommendations by teachers, employers and others who know of the applicants past experiences and potential to succeed in a chosen career, year in school; seriousness of purpose; major field of study; practicality of education and professional goals and completeness of the application.
Disbursement of Funds: Scholarship checks are disbursed by the SNA Foundation directly to the scholarship recipient’s college or university. The university is requested to administer the funds on behalf of the Foundation scholarship recipient. A copy of the disbursement letter, sent with the check to the university is also sent to the scholarship recipient. Annual scholarship checks will be disbursed in one or two equal installments on two-semester basis.
A copy of grade transcripts for the previous semester during which a scholarship was used must be submitted to the Foundation in order for the second installment of the scholarship to be disbursed or for new scholarship’s to be awarded.
Information: For information contact: The SNA Foundation, PO Drawer L Seldovia Alaska 99663 Phone (907) 234-7625, Fax (907) 234-7637, 1-800-478-7898.
Scholarship Application Procedures
It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit all required information on or before the deadline as follows:
- Scholarship application, completed, signed and dated.
- An official copy of your grade transcripts (or a copy of your high school grade transcripts if you are entering freshman; or a college of your GED certificate).
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from teachers, employers and others who know of your past experience and potential to succeed in your chosen field of study. New letters must be submitted by repeat students if those on file with the Foundation are two or more years old.
- A copy of your proof of acceptance letter from your college/university if you are entering for the first time.
- A photograph of yourself (optional).
- Deliver or mail, postmarked no later than the deadline to: The SNA Foundation, PO Drawer L, Seldovia, Alaska 99663
New and Repeat scholarship applicants must complete ALL the application and submit all materials to receive consideration.